|Bringing Back Holleywood
There were two existing powder rooms on the first floor. We think the one under the center stairs was added around 1915. The one in the den was put in in the 1930s for John Rudd's grandmother who came for long visits, when she could no longer navigate steps to a second floor bedroom. Both of those powder rooms have been gutted and the contractor was horrified to see that neither of them had any foundations. Beneath the floor in each was only dirt. No wonder the porcelain was always so cold! We've cleaned up the earthen cavity (thanks, Bill!) and added insulation and tucked slim heat registers behind sinks where they'll be unobtrusive but invaluable to visitors on a cold, winter day. Should winter ever come again. Is February the new spring??
who we are
We are a couple of Upper West Siders from NYC who never set out to buy an old mansion in Connecticut. But the moment we walked through its massive front door, we were smitten. The info on this site is earnestly cobbled from a variety of sources, including the web. Please let us know if we've gotten something wrong, or if there's a story about Holleywood you'd like to share.