|Bringing Back Holleywood||
Sunday afternoon, April 23, 1876
The earliest date we've found yet, pencilled at the top of a door to the "cistern room" on the third floor. Matt created a pointer so we'd be sure to see it.
On the third floor, there's the remains of a cistern. According to the History of Holleywood compiled by John (Jay) Rudd, the cistern was added during the 1860 renovation, to augment the supply from the well that was dug as part of the original construction. The cistern collected rainwater and drained, ingeniously, to the kitchen. Thanks to the miracle of modern plumbing, we don't need the cistern, but we've preserved what's left of it and replaced rotted roof beams above it in the room workers refer to as "the cistern chapel."
who we are
We are a couple of Upper West Siders from NYC who never set out to buy an old mansion in Connecticut. But the moment we walked through its massive front door, we were smitten. The info on this site is earnestly cobbled from a variety of sources, including the web. Please let us know if we've gotten something wrong, or if there's a story about Holleywood you'd like to share.