|Bringing Back Holleywood||
According to history of the house provided by the seller, John Holley Rudd, the last major renovation took place in 1915 when his grandfather Charles Edward Rudd inherited the house from his mother Maria Holley Rudd. Charles Rudd engaged architect Gerard Fountain to do a restoration that included a new roof, enlarging second floor bedrooms, updating plumbing, adding electricity and complete cleaning and repainting of interior woodwork on the first two floors. The year is marked on tub and stairwell. We'll add 2012 on the next step. And imagine renovators in 2112 following suit.
In the west parlor window, Charles E. Rudd (the seller's grandfather) carved the date into glass on Feb. 22 1896, exactly 93 years before our younger daughter was born. Happy birthday, Katherine!
The presence of former owners is evidenced not only in writing on walls, but in initials scratched into a pane of parlor window facing the lake. "C.E.R" was the seller's grandfather, Charles Edward Rudd. But who was "M. D? R.?" Katherine Chilcoat (Town Historian) guesses they're the initials of his first cousin, Malcolm Day Rudd. Glass-etching was a popular hijinks in "96" (meaning 1896) and they were teenage boys 15 years old, and 19, respectively.
who we are
We are a couple of Upper West Siders from NYC who never set out to buy an old mansion in Connecticut. But the moment we walked through its massive front door, we were smitten. The info on this site is earnestly cobbled from a variety of sources, including the web. Please let us know if we've gotten something wrong, or if there's a story about Holleywood you'd like to share.