|Bringing Back Holleywood||
The original front doors to the house were found in the basement. Classicist architect Frank Garretson has designed drawings for returning them to their proper place in the house, consulting with old photos to make sure we will be restoring them just as they were.
The original front doors have been stored in the basement since the renovation of 1915, when the double doors were removed in favor of a more "modern" look. Here's how the double doors looked seven years prior, when Malcolm Day Rudd and his family posed for this picture. We mean to restore the doors to their original place of honor. More portraits of the family and the house in its glory can be found here, thanks to the generosity of Malcolm's grandson, Charles Keil.
We are grateful to Malcolm Rudd's grandson Charles Malcolm Keil and his wife Angelici Vellou Keil for excavating albums of old photos that show the house in its original glory. And to Alexander Holley Rudd's granddaughter, Louise "Weezie" Hannegan, who joined them to regale us with tales of former residents and an era long gone.
who we are
We are a couple of Upper West Siders from NYC who never set out to buy an old mansion in Connecticut. But the moment we walked through its massive front door, we were smitten. The info on this site is earnestly cobbled from a variety of sources, including the web. Please let us know if we've gotten something wrong, or if there's a story about Holleywood you'd like to share.