|Bringing Back Holleywood||
We are grateful to newlyweds Kyle and Lindsey McEvoy for taking on the project of renovating the Gatehouse prior to their moving into it. We think the Gatehouse dates from the late 1850s, a few years after the big house was built. Kyle is conversant with the secrets of old houses, having worked with Ron Carpenter to restore hundreds of vintage fixtures at Holleywood including the glass octagonal lantern in the turret. Here are Kyle and Lindsey a couple of weeks into the job--still together and smiling!
Ron the electrician and his assistant Kyle restore bell butler in kitchen that once rang servants to all parts of the house. Alas, no butler answered the call.
Kyle, electrician working with Ron Carpenter, has set up shop in the basement where he's taken on the daunting task of rewiring and repairing all the old brass fixtures installed in 1915. We're reusing every one. According to the history compiled by John Holley Rudd, Holleywood was the second building in Salisbury to be electrified. The first was the Holley Knife Factory.
who we are
We are a couple of Upper West Siders from NYC who never set out to buy an old mansion in Connecticut. But the moment we walked through its massive front door, we were smitten. The info on this site is earnestly cobbled from a variety of sources, including the web. Please let us know if we've gotten something wrong, or if there's a story about Holleywood you'd like to share.